We’ve had quite a few followers ask us over the last year or so to create a Discord server to share deals. Honestly, we really drug our feet for a long while because we didn’t have much experience with Discord and wasn’t sure it would be worthwhile. We were soooo wrong. Over the last few weeks we’ve set up a 3D Printing Deals Discord server, and started getting a few people to join/test it out… and now we are hooked! We think its ready to open it up to the world, so come join us by clicking the link above (also here: https://discord.gg/Y5Ke2SHHyc)!
Why? What is so much different and better about it?
As great as FB, Twitter, etc. can be, there is very little community customization available. Discord, on the other hand, has a TON of customization available! We can setup multiple channels for various types of chat. Like I said, we are new to Discord, and have gotten some great suggestions that we’ve implemented already. We are open to your suggestions and constructive feedback on the server/channel structure. Speaking of channels, just to name a few:
- 3d printing deals any user can post (this was the obvious point of the server, but also allows for some discussion/feedback)
- separate channel for company deals (for deals directly from representatives)
- requests (looking to get some specialty filament or a specific printer on sale, ask and ye shall receive)
- 3d printing display case (show off your prints)
- troubleshooting (while not the purpose of this server, we KNOW there is a lot of experience and a lot of people new to this hobby, so let’s help each other)
- voice chat (sometimes its just quicker/easier to chat about it)
- more channels if needed (request something new if you want, we have ultimate customizability and will do what we can to help make this useful for as many people as we can)
- also have one just for people new to Discord, so don’t feel ashamed if this is all new to you (it is to us also!)
I think the best part is… each user can customize their notifications. Each channel can be customized for notifications, so you don’t get too many pings from channels you aren’t as interested in. Come check it out and give it a test.
We are still posting everything to our website, and will keep using Twitter/Facebook/Telegram/Instagram/etc., but I really think this will be a great hub for quick communication with us, sharing ALL THE DEALS, and engaging with other amazing people in the community. Come check it out!
Thanks so much for reading this! If you have any comments or feedback, contact us on social media at the locations below, or fill out our website feedback form here.
To get an email notification of future 3dprintingdeals.com blog posts, subscribe below: